Jami uses state of the art end-to-end encryption with perfect forward secrecy for all communications and complies with the X.509 standard.
For more information about Jami and the meaning of the application’s name, see the Frequently Asked Questions.
Advantages of utilizing Jami
As in free beer AND as in freedom.
Without restriction on file size, speed, bandwidth, features, number of accounts, storage or anything else.
There will never be advertising on Jami.
All communications are peer-to-peer and end-to-end encrypted.
Available on Linux, Android, AndroidTV, Windows, macOS and iOS.
Latency and transfer speeds are greatly reduced thanks to the direct peer-to-peer connection.
Users who are on the same local network can communicate with Jami even if they are disconnected from the internet.
No personal information needs to be provided when creating an account.
Steps to Install and Utilize Jami
- If you are interested in installing Jami, touch the following link: https://jami.net/download/
- Download and install Jami for your operating system.
- After installing Jami, create a Username. It doesn’t have to be your name. For more privacy, it can be a nickname. The Username is optional. It will help you share your profile.
- If you do not want to create a Username, Jami generates an alphanumeric Identity to share your profile.
- Then, assign a password that you must not forget. You must write it and save it in a safe place. The password is optional but without it, your account information will not be encrypted (private) in your device.
- Once you are in the main Jami screen, utilize the magnifying glass 🔍 to search for other Jami contacts by typing their Username.
- If your contacts did not create a Username, you can request the alphanumeric Identity that Jami generated for them, so that you may add them.
- If you meet personally with a contact, you can share your Username or Identity with a QR Code, so that the other person can scan the QR Code with their mobile device’s camera.
If you would like test if your Jami installation is working, you may scan the QR Code of my Profile.
It is important for you to know that your account (identity number) is not stored in any centralized system, like WhatsApp, Telegram, and other services. Jami saves your account in the device where you are installing it. It is important to back up the account in your device.
- In Android, on the main Jami screen, go down and tap on the Account symbol.
- On the Profile screen, find Settings at the bottom and tap on Account.
- On the next screen, go to the top and tap on Backup Account. If you assigned a password to your account in Jami, it will ask for it.
- Save the backup in your device.
I don’t expect everyone to use Jami. But, at least I want most people to know that there are chat alternatives that are more private than WhatsApp.